Tuesday, February 12, 2013

When you're little you assume you're going to be rich.

Steroids and PEDs has at least partially screwed that up for me. I certainly wouldn't be rich but I'd at least be able trade or sell some of these dozens of Bonds, Clemens, and McGwire rookie cards. And be able to afford a few boxes of the 2013 topps. I would love to be able to buy a case of each of Series 1, Heritage, Archives, Series 2, and Updates as they are released.

The sheer joy of watching my kid open packs of cards is unmatched. It's like Christmas morning.

I'll never forget opening packs and finding that card I was looking for. Bryce Harper is my kid's George Brett. And I'll never forget trading a 1980 Rickey Henderson for a 1960 near mint Mickey Mantle. That card was beautiful and I can't even bring myself to look at it online anymore. This trade occurred in 1982. This kid on my street had a huge collection and his dad was rich compared to my parents. He had all his cards in the soft plastic sleeves even. Mine were in rubber bands, sorted by teams. About 3 years later I made the mistake of trading the Mantle to a local dealer for store credit. I wanted boxes of 1985 Topps and made the trade. It did yield several good cards, at least until the PED scandal arose. Oh well, live and learn.

Lesson: my kid runs all trade offers through me before final decision. I'm sure that kid's dad wasn't too happy about the Mantle/Henderson trade.



No comments:

Post a Comment